Well, that was an interesting day...
What a day I just had. (referring to 19 November)
Woke up, watched an X-Files episode on video (Season 7, episode 4 - the Millenium crossover).
Got ready for work. Went to work.
Simon, the AAM (Assistant Area Manager) of our area (Okinawa and southern Kyushu), was in at our branch. I double-checked a detail about the upcoming New Year's holiday dates, and he asked if I could see him in a later break for five minutes. OK...
So after my third lesson, I went downstairs. Apparently there's a little bit of re-shuffling required in the staffing of schools down here... and I'm to go to Main Place as of December 1st. Talk about short notice! He explained the reasons, so fair enough, I guess...
After that the bell rang, and I ran upstairs to my next class. Straight after that was my lunch break. I went next door to the ramen shop, had some fried rice and ramen, and thought about this move as I read a book about Narnia.
CONS
- It's further from my apartment.
- It's a busy school, with more full classes and a smaller staffroom
- It's inside a shopping centre, so the A/C temperature isn't up to us.
- Also, there's muzak... Mozart all year, with a few speeded-up instrumental-rock carols now... seriously, muzak is evil. Sometimes I think that if Mozart wasn't already dead, I would give him a serious talking-to! OK, back on topic...
PROS
+ It's on the monorail line, so the distance isn't so bad.
+ I'll see Mel a bit more often, as she was moved to Main Place a couple months ago.
+ I'll also get to teach at the new Kids-only Nova School down the road from Main Place, which should be fun.
+ It's close to the video store. :)
After lunch, I went back to work and had a few minutes' chat with Len. When the other teachers found out, there was a mixture of sympathy (over the busier schedule at Main Place) and laughs (over the fact that first Mel was moved over, then me). But mostly laughs. :)
As soon as work was over I had another short chat with Simon. Apparently this move isn't quite 100% certain. A few contributing factors still need to be sorted out... but I should still assume I'm moving over to Main Place. Yay!
Mel was having dinner with one of her friends after work, so I went home and changed channel on the TV. Survivor was being recorded, and this is something we watch together. Woe betide me if I know beforehand who's getting voted off! Instead I went online, added a link on here to McSteve's livejournal (after having read a funny cartoon he posted there).
Mel emailed me when she got home, and I walked over there (taking with me the Survivor tape). Today (19th) is our 5-month anniversary, so we did the romantic thing - ate icecream, chatted about my move, then watched That 70's Show and The Apprentice... :) Survivor will wait till tomorrow night.
Then I walked home, buying some food on the way (by now it was about 1am) since I hadn't eaten dinner yet. As I type this on here, I'm watching a video... a movie called "Nine Days" in Japanese... aha, a quick detour to the Internet Movie Database tells me it's called "Bad Company" in English-speaking countries. Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock. Entertaining, I'll give it that.
All in all a strange but interesting day. Still not sure about how I feel about Main Place. I'm not happy, but I'm not sad either. Just... different. Like moving house. Or leaving home. Either way, let's hope the pluses increase...
That's me... over and out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home